For most people, the word “surgery” conjures up unsettling images of a complex operation followed by a lengthy stay recuperating in a hospital bed. Fortunately, however, modern technology and techniques have made it possible to undergo minimally invasive procedures for a wide variety of conditions that enable you to go home on the same day.
An outpatient surgery center is a healthcare facility that provides surgical care without the need for an overnight hospital stay and offers significant advantages over in-patient surgery. Some of the most noteworthy benefits of an outpatient surgery center are:
- Greater safety – In a recent report, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated that only about five in 1,000 patients who had surgery at an outpatient surgery center developed a surgical site infection (SSI) requiring in-patient treatment within 30 days of surgery, as opposed to nearly nine in 1,000 who developed an SSI in a hospital setting. That’s because a patient with a contagious disease is not allowed to have a surgical procedure performed at an outpatient surgery center based on their health history being checked beforehand, thereby significantly reducing the risk of acquiring an illness from another patient.
- Lower treatment cost – An outpatient surgery center can be 45-60% less expensive than treatment at a hospital, yet the quality of the healthcare provided is equal to or higher than that offered at an inpatient facility due to the structure of the outpatient surgery center and its augmented productivity.
- Relative convenience and outpatient surgery center accessibility–Physicians at an outpatient surgery center have more control over their work and the quality of their services and, therefore, tend to offer superior pre-and post-operative care to their patients. Not only that, but the location of an outpatient surgery center is usually easier to access, which is more convenient for patients and their families.
- Reduced time spent in treatment and post-op recovery–According to research, patients spend about 26% less time at an outpatient surgery center than in a hospital for the same surgery. In addition, in an outpatient surgery center, patients visit the clinic less often in the week following their surgery.
- Less stress–Not only is outpatient surgery less stressful than in-patient surgery in most cases, but most patients, especially children, would rather convalesce after surgery at home than in a hospital.
- More predictable scheduling–Since outpatient surgery centers have better control over the scheduling of procedures, few of them tend to be postponed or rescheduled. Whereas, at a hospital, unexpected factors such as prioritized emergency room cases, can cause inconvenient delays.
Outpatient Surgery in Mount Ayr, Iowa
At Ringgold County Hospital (RCH), our goal is to provide the highest-quality, comprehensive healthcare services. Our board-certified general surgeons and other healthcare providers are dedicated to helping area residents and visitors get and stay healthy, so they can live their best possible lives. That is why we offer convenient medical care – including outpatient surgery – that is close to home while maintaining the quality of care and a wide variety of modern, innovative treatments you expect from a big-city hospital.
No matter the type of specialty healthcare you need, we can make sure you get it. That includes outpatient surgical services involving:
- Foot and nail care
- Infusion therapy
- Pain management
To learn more about Ringgold County Hospital’s specialty care clinics and convenient outpatient surgical options, or to schedule a visit with one of our board-certified providers right here in Mount Ayr, Iowa, call (641) 464-4409. Or, if you prefer, request an appointment online now.