We take pride in upholding the quality of care and standards you might expect to find at any large, urban hospital. At Ringgold County Hospital, it’s important to us that you have access to the high-quality healthcare you need so close to home. That’s why, we’ve got you covered – including for all your surgical needs.
Inpatient & Outpatient Surgery
Ringgold County Hospital boasts not one but two surgical suites. One is dedicated to the performance of major surgical procedures and the other is dedicated to outpatient surgical procedures. This allows our team to provide a wide variety of both inpatient and outpatient surgical care. Both surgical suites are fully equipped with state-of-the-art technology.
Surgical Specialties at RCH
Our surgeons specialize in general, laparoscopic, vascular, and podiatric surgeries – plus much more. We offer orthopedic surgery, including knee and hip replacements, knee and shoulder arthroscopy, fracture management, and trauma care. The RCH surgical team provides skilled care throughout all procedures, including screening endoscopies and biopsies.
Endoscopy can be used to simultaneously diagnose and treat problems anywhere along your digestive tract. During these outpatient, minimally invasive procedures, a long flexible tube with a video camera is guided to the site of the issue. This allows your physician to assess potential problems. Miniature surgical instruments are available through the tube and can be used to biopsy or remove suspicious tissue, stop uncontrolled bleeding, and more.
The most common types of endoscopies include:
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, in which the tube is inserted through the throat. Also called an EGD (for esophagogastroduodenoscopy), this procedure may be used to explore possible causes of stomach pain or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Colonoscopy, in which the tube is inserted through the rectum. It may be performed to confirm or rule out potential causes of symptoms such as rectal bleeding, chronic diarrhea, or chronic constipation. Most people are familiar with this procedure as the recommended screening for colon cancer.
In both cases, patients are sedated during the procedure and typically recall nothing of the endoscopy.
Our surgeons can treat a wide range of medical conditions and diseases, including emergency and elective procedures.
Some of the most common general surgery procedures available at RCH include:
- Biopsy and Excision, Drainage of Abscesses, Skin Cancer Management
- Management of Acute and Chronic Gastrointestinal/Stomach Issues
- Hernia repairs
- Gallbladder procedures
- Colon surgery
- Management of Perianal or anal issues
- Thoracic/Lung Procedures
- Management of Acute and Chronic Wounds
When every minute counts, Ringgold County Hospital is here to deliver the medication, treatment, and other services you need.
Intravenous (IV) infusions are often preferred in emergency situations – such as when a patient has lost a lot of blood and requires a blood transfusion, or when medication (such as IV antibiotics) need to be circulated throughout the body, as quickly as possible and without any dilution from the digestive process.
We also offer outpatient infusion therapy, for patients who require chemotherapy or other types of specialized medications and other cocktails delivered intravenously.
- Gallbladder surgery
- Nissen Fundoplication for Hiatal Hernia
- Colon Resections
- Hernia Repair
If you have a problem moving – which typically means a problem with your bones, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissue – you may need an orthopedic procedure.
At Ringgold County Hospital, our surgeons can provide a comprehensive assortment of orthopedic surgeries and other procedures. This includes everything from trigger finger or carpal tunnel release to total hip, shoulder, or knee replacements. We also perform minimally invasive arthroscopies, in which a special device is used to simultaneously diagnose and treat problems at the joint.
Conditions affecting your blood vessels and circulation may be addressed with vascular surgery. These conditions include blood clots, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), peripheral artery disease (PAD), carotid artery disease (CAD), varicose veins, and more.
Among the types of vascular care, testing, and surgery we perform at RCH are:
- Arterial and venous angiograms
- Arterial endovascular stent, atherectomy, and angioplasty in upper and lower extremities
- Endovascular intervention for chronic or emergent arterial or venous clot, embolization and occlusion
- Management of acute Deep venous thrombosis (DVT) both surgical and nonsurgical
- Management of varicose veins and vein ablations
- All vascular access procedures including infusion ports, central lines, PICC lines, and temporary Dialysis access catheters
Our Surgical Support Staff
The surgical suites at Ringgold County Hospital are staffed by an experienced group of nurses and other healthcare providers who assist our surgeons, as well as certified surgical technologists and certified operating room registered nurses. Our anesthesia care and pain management services are provided by Melissa Friedrich, CRNA.
Surgery in Mount Ayr, IA
Do you require surgery and you’re located in or near Mount Ayr, Iowa? The surgical services at Ringgold County Hospital offer all the conveniences and state-of-the-art technology you’d find in a big-city hospital – without having to drive hours to get there.
To find out more about the surgical services at Ringgold County Hospital, call us at (641) 464-4427.