You’re on this page probably because you’re considering physical therapy or other rehab services for you or your loved one and are trying to gather some information that will help you in the decision-making process.
To help you make a well-informed decision, here are the answers to some of the most common questions patients have about physical therapy and other rehab services:
Q: Can I Choose My Physical Therapy Clinic?
Yes, you do have the ability to choose the clinic to receive your care. It is wise to consider one close to where you live to ensure that you can make it to all of your appointments.
If you live in or around Mount Ayr in Ringgold County, Iowa, choose The Ringgold County Hospital Rehabilitation Department. Our highly qualified rehabilitation specialists strive to consistently deliver top-notch, personalized care to our patients.
We seek to provide comprehensive healthcare services to the people in the communities we are privileged to serve. In addition to physical therapy, we offer a number of other rehabilitation services, including:
- Occupational therapy (OT) – assists people in developing skills necessary to achieve independent and satisfying lives. OT treatments are designed to improve or maintain a patient’s ability to perform activities of daily living (ADL).
- Speech therapy (ST) – helps children and adults with their speech, cognition, swallowing, and vocal skills to improve their communication skills
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation – provides education, exercise training, and support for people with asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery disease, heart attack, and other related conditions
- Skilled care – helps people who have suffered a stroke, traumatic injury, hip fracture, or other diagnoses that impacts the patient’s functional mobility and independence recover and regain their normal function
Q: What Does My Physical Therapy Program Consist of?
PT programs employ a combination of exercises and therapeutic modalities, such as:
- Strengthening and functional endurance
- Balance and stability interventions
- Electrical stimulation therapy
- Dry needling
- Activity tolerance and mobility interventions
- Gait (walking) training
- Aquatic therapy
- Manual interventions (e.g., soft tissue mobilizations or joint manipulations)
Your physical therapist will first carry out a comprehensive assessment in order to decide which of these interventions will provide you with the best results.
Q: Is Physical Therapy Painful?
Although you may experience some soreness following a typical session, physical therapy is generally well tolerated and aimed at relieving pain – not causing it.
Q: How Long Does Each PT Treatment Session Last?
Your initial evaluation typically lasts about 45-60 minutes. Follow-up appointments are usually 45 minutes long but may vary depending on what your therapist feels is necessary to help alleviate your symptoms.
Q: How Many Sessions Do I Need?
That will depend on your specific condition or injury, and how quickly you respond to treatment. On your first visit, your physical therapist will discuss your treatment plan with you and estimate the number of visits you may need.
To learn more about our physical therapy or other rehabilitation services here at Ringgold County Hospital or to schedule an appointment with one of our providers, call (641) 464-4428.